Friday, April 26, 2013

If I Were a Voice (Choral Speaking Script)


This was the script I used in the District Level competition. I have a video of my kids performing this at the competition. I might upload it later.



Choral Speaking Script (Recommended for Secondary School)
IF I WERE A VOICE

STANZA ONE

GROUP 1:
If I...

GROUP 2:
If I...

GROUP 3:
If I...

ALL:
...were a voice,
A persuasive voice,
That could...

GROUP 1:
...travel...

GROUP 2:
...travel...

GROUP 3:
...travel...

ALL:
...the wide world through,

SOLO:
England!

SOLO:
Japan!

SOLO:
Brazil!

SOLO:
Australia!

SOLO:
Malaysia!

GROUP 1:
I'd fly...

GROUP 2:
I'd fly...

GROUP 3:
I'd fly...

ALL:
...on the beams of the morning light,
And speak to men with a gentle might,

SOLO:
I hear and I forget.
I see and I remember.
I do and I understand.
- Confucius

SOLO:
Love all,
Trust a few,
Do wrong to none.
- William Shakespeare

SOLO:
An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
- Mahatma Gandhi

ALL:
And tell them to be true.

GROUP 1:
I'd fly,

GROUP 2:
I'd fly,

GROUP 3:
I'd fly,

ALL:
Over land and sea,

SOLO:
Asia!

SOLO:
Europe!

SOLO:
America!

SOLO:
Africa!

ALL:
Wherever a human heart might be,

Telling a tale,

GROUP 1:
Once upon a time,

GROUP 2:
In a faraway land,

GROUP 3:
There lived a beautiful princess.

GROUP 1:
 Or singing a song...

GROUP 1 and 2:
...singing a song...

ALL:
...singing a song...

ALL:
In praise of the right

SOLO:
Excellent!

SOLO:
Extraordinary!

SOLO:
Wonderful!

ALL:
In blame of the wrong.

SOLO:
You're guilty!


STANZA TWO

GROUP 1:
If I...

GROUP 2:
If I...

GROUP 3:
If I...

ALL:
... were a voice,
a consoling voice,

GROUP 1:
I'd fly...

GROUP 2:
I'd fly...

GROUP 3:
I'd fly...

ALL:
...on the wings of air,

GROUP 1:
The homes of sorrow and guilt I'd seek,

GROUP 2:
And calm and truthful words I'd speak

GROUP 1:
..speak..

GROUP 3:
..speak.

ALL:
To save them from despair.

GROUP 1:
I'd fly...

GROUP 2:
I'd fly...

GROUP 3:
I'd fly...

ALL:
...over the crowded town,
And drop,
like the...

GROUP 1:
...happy...

GROUP 2:
...happy...

GROUP 3:
Happy, happy, happy...

ALL:
...sunlight!

down into the hearts of suffering men,
And teach them to rejoice again.

STANZA THREE

GROUP 1:
If I...

GROUP 2:
If I...

GROUP 3:
If I...

ALL:
...were a voice,
a convincing voice,

GROUP 1:
I'd travel...

GROUP 2:
...travel...

GROUP 3:
...travel...

ALL:
...with the wind,

SOLO:
And whenever I saw the nations torn
By warfare, jealousy, or scorn,

ALL:
Or hatred of their kind,

GROUP 1:
I'd fly...

GROUP 2:
I'd fly...

GROUP 3:
I'd fly...

ALL:
...on the thunder crash,
And into their blinded bosoms flash;

GROUP 1:
And, all their evil thoughts subdued,

GROUP 2:
I'd teach them goodness and brotherhood.

STANZA FOUR

GROUP 1:
If I...

GROUP 2:
If I...

GROUP 3:
If I...

ALL:
...were a voice,
a pervading voice,

I'd seek the kings of Earth;

SOLO:
Queen Elizabeth the Second of the United Kingdom!

SOLO:
Tuanku Sultan Abdul Halim Mu'azam Shah of Malaysia!

SOLO:
Sultan Haji Hasanal Bolkiah of Brunei Darussalam!

SOLO:
Emperor Akihito of Japan!

SOLO:
King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia!

ALL:
I'd find them alone on their beds at night,
And whisper words that should guide them right,
Lessons of priceless worth;

GROUP 1:
I'd fly,

GROUP 2:
I'd fly,

GROUP 3:
I'd fly,

ALL:
... more swift than the swiftest bird,
And tell them things they never heard

SOLO:
People are unreasonable, illogical, and self-centered.

ALL:
Love them anyway.

SOLO:
If you do good, people may accuse you of selfish motives.

ALL:
Do good anyway.

SOLO:
If you are successful, you may win false friends and true enemies.

ALL:
Succeed anyway.

SOLO:
The good you do today may be forgotten tomorrow.

ALL:
Do good anyway.

SOLO:
Honesty and transparency make you vulnerable.

ALL:
Be honest and transparent anyway.

SOLO:
What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.

ALL:
Build anyway.

SOLO:
People who really want help may attack you if you help them.

ALL:
Help them anyway.

SOLO:
Give the world the best you have and you may get hurt.

ALL:
Give the world your best anyway.

GIRLS:
Truths which the ages for aye repeat,

BOYS:
Unknown to the statesmen at their feet.

STANZA FIVE

GROUP 1:
If I...

GROUP 2:
If I...

GROUP 3:
If I...

ALL:
... were a voice,
an immortal voice,

I'd speak in the people's ear;
And whenever they shouted...

GROUP 1:
 "Liberty!"

GROUP 2:
"Liberty !"

GROUP 3:
"Liberty!"

ALL:
Without deserving to be free,
I'd make their error clear.

GROUP 1:
I'd fly...

GROUP 2:
I'd fly...

GROUP 3:
I'd fly...

ALL:
...on the wings of day,
Rebuking wrong on my world-wide way,
And making all the Earth rejoice

GROUP 1:
If I...

GROUP 2:
If I...

GROUP 3:
If I...

ALL:
...were a voice!

3 comments:

hi again,
may I adapt this for my junior one students. they will be having their competition this July. really appreciate it.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...