Sunday, January 13, 2013

A Messi Story

I would like to share a story that I found on Champions in Schools. I find this story quite interesting as it can inspire kids to pursue their dreams and not to give up even though they might face challenges along the way.



Lionel Messi is one of the most successful sportsmen in the world. His image can be seen on billboards, in magazines and on television. He is regarded as being one of the greatest footballers on the planet. On January 9th 2012 he was awarded an unprecedented 3rd consecutive Ballon D'Or (Golden Ball), for being the world's best football player.

What you might not know is what Messi he had to go through to be the best footballer in the world. When he was 11 years old, he was diagnosed with "growth hormone deficiency". This meant he didn’t grow properly, the way other children did and at the age of 13 he was only the height of an average 8 year-old.

It was clear that he was a very talented footballer, however, due to his medical condition it was unlikely that he would make it as a professional player. His local clubs in Argentina knew he was very good, but he was just too small to be of any value to them. Despite these setbacks, the young Messi continued to work hard at his football. He didn’t grow in size, but thanks to his determination and self-belief, he continued to improving his game.

The Spanish football club FC Barcelona were alerted to his talents and his positive attitude. They flew Messi and his family to Spain to try out for the team. They were so impressed with him that they gave him a place in the youth squad and paid for the medical treatment that he needed. Lionel Messi played for the senior team when he was 17 years old. He is now 25 years old, is the best footballer in the world and remains with FC Barcelona.

"It wasn't difficult for me to move to Barcelona because I knew I had to. I needed money for my medicine to help me grow and Barcelona were the only club that offered. So as soon as they did, I knew I had to go." - Messi

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...